Now hiring! Check out the job openings from Chamber Members and Corporate Partners. Make your next move to work with an LGBTQ+ inclusive company!
Clerk - Front Office
Legacy Community Health is a premium, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides comprehensive care to community members regardless of their ability to pay. Our goal is to treat the entire patient while improving their overall wellness and quality of life, in addition to providing free pregnancy tests, HIV/AIDS screening. At Legacy, we empower patients to lead better lives by promoting healthy behaviors and offering resources such as literacy classes, family planning services, and nutrition and weight management information.
Our roots began in 1981 as the Montrose Clinic, with specialization in HIV education, testing, and treatment. Since then, the agency has expanded to >50 clinics in Houston, one in Baytown, 3 in Beaumont, and one in Deer Park with extensive services that include: Adult primary care, HIV/AIDS care, pediatrics, OB/GYN and maternity, dental, vision and behavioral health. We also service students within KIPP and YES Prep schools. Legacy is committed to driving healthy change in our communities
The Front Office Clerk is often the first person a patient may interact with over the phone or upon arriving at a clinic. Therefore, the Front Office Clerk is integral to shaping the patients' first impression of the organization, which could shape the patient-provider relationship for the long-term.
Essential functions are those tasks, duties, and responsibilities that comprise the means of accomplishing the job’s purpose and objectives. Essential functions are critical or fundamental to the performance of the job. They are the major functions for which the person in the job is held accountable.
- Answers incoming calls and routes them appropriately.
- Performs client intake and notifies appropriate staff of the client’s arrival.
- Enters patient information into the appropriate databases.
- Assists the volunteer coordinator with the management of volunteers.
- Follows appointment procedures as set by management.
- Follows cash handling procedures when receiving client payments.
- Completes opening and closing procedures.
- Keeps clinic lobby straight and orderly.
- Processes lab results as assigned by Practice Manager.
- Participates in the Performance Improvement Program.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to insure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a team to facilitate the department’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Works within the context of a primary care medical home, applying a team based approach to care while working in partnership with patients/families to promote: timely access to care, understanding of patient care that is culturally sensitive and language appropriate, continuity of care, and the improvement of the whole-person through the teaching of appropriate self-management skills.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, specific job–related hazards.
- Attends all required safety education programs.
- Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by Legacy standards.
Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
- Checks on the patient’s environment and equipment to insure safety.
- Reports safety concerns promptly to appropriate personnel.
- Follows Legacy’s exposure control plans/blood-borne and airborne pathogens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures and correct use of protective barrier equipment (Universal Precautions).
- Assures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures.
- Attends annual education programs.
Education & Training Requirements
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
Work Experience Requirements
- Pleasant, professional, and articulate phone voice.
- Ability to multi-task and handle many incoming calls or patients at once.
- Efficient and accurate data-entry skills.
- Computer literacy and multi-line phone or switchboard experience. If no experience, the prospective receptionist must be able to learn it quickly.
- Basic knowledge such as basic math, alphabetical or numerical filing may also be required.
- Medical / Vision / Dental
- 9 Holiday + 1 Floating Holiday
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- PTO Exchange benefit
PTO Exchange will provide you with the option to convert a portion of your accrued but unused PTO hours for use toward several different benefits and causes, based on your own priorities.
With PTO Exchange, you can convert a portion of your unused PTO into:
- 403(b) Retirement contributions
- Student loan payments / Tuition for the employee
- Leave Sharing donations to fellow employees
If you are interested in the position, please apply on our website.