Reporter - Heights/River Oaks/Montrose, Houston, TX
I am interested in journalism and community news, and want to join a company that offers opportunities to grow my career. Well you came to the right place! Our reporters are an extremely important part of our teams and Community Impact Newspaper is a great place to start – or continue – your career as a professional journalist!
How are y'all growing? Everyone loves their Community Impact newspaper. We don't have a subscription model – everyone gets our paper! If you have a mailbox in a zip code we deliver to you'll find a Community Impact Newspaper in it on a monthly basis (but we're updating our 33 unique, community websites everyday!). As a result, everyone gets to know unbiased, agenda-free news about what's happening where they live on a daily and monthly basis. Advertisers love it – and that's who has helped us grow from one publication in 2005 to 33 publications now in three different states.
That sounds amazing! How do I fit in? We're looking for Reporters who can....
- Build relationships within the communities they serve.
- Interview, report and write news and feature stories that matter to the community. Think local government & education, the business sector, real estate, health care, development & infrastructure projects, etc.
- Collect data for your story and develop graphic elements by working closely with the graphic designer on your market-level team to tell your story visually; shoot photos at events and in the community.
- Engage with your readers & the community through social media platforms.
- Manage time effectively and stay well organized.
Can I earn a living here? Absolutely. Our Reporter positions start at $38,000 and go up with more experience and education.
Also, we have great benefits and perks that are indicative of our culture and values.
- Health insurance options that include medical, dental and vision coverage
- 401k program with a company match
- 3 weeks of paid vacation time off
- 10 paid company holidays
- 10 weeks of paid parental time off
- Monthly mileage reimbursement
- Company-sponsored access to ComPsychGuidance Resources including mental health support, legal guidance and financial resources
- Company-sponsored social events
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- First class onboarding and continuing professional development
- Annual Company Conference for professional development held at HQ
Mission and values, did you say? I'm glad you asked! We're family owned/operated so it starts there. John and Jennifer Garrett started CI in 2005 from the game room of their home and built it from the ground up. They developed a mission around building communities of informed citizens and thriving businesses through the collaboration of a passionate team. We operate with values (Quality, Innovation, Faith, Passion & Integrity) and when you combine that formula with hard working subject matter experts that are genuinely salt-of-the-earth people, you get a newspaper organization that's GROWING (2.6 million folks monthly get our newspaper). We're kind of a rose in the desert.
The "community" in Community Impact Newspapers represents you. As an organization that reflects the people and businesses we serve, we hold diversity & inclusion principles to be extremely important to our mission and values. Employment decisions made at Community Impact Newspapers are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics; instead, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
APPLY DIRECTLY HERE: https://communityimpact.isolvedhire.com/jobs/342091.html