What is the Greater Houston LGBT Chamber of Commerce?
The Chamber is the leading voice for the LGBTQ+ and Allied Business Community in the Greater Houston region.
Mission: The Greater Houston LGBT Chamber of Commerce accelerates economic opportunity for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer + business community through a strong network of business allies, innovative programs, strategic partnerships and advance policies that foster economic inclusion and equality.
The Chamber launched in 2016 to ensure representation for the LGBTQ+ Business Community. The organization was founded by Co-Founders Tammi Wallace and Gary Wood. The Chamber is supported by members and Corporate Partners that invest in the mission of the organization.
- Grown every year since the launch of the organization
- Only business organization in the region focused on supporting and growing the LGBTQ+ and Allied Business Community
- Working with the Chamber and the NGLCC, the City of Houston is the first city in Texas to recognize LGBT-owned businesses
- Largest number of Certified LGBTBE® businesses in the State of Texas
Greater Houston LGBT Chamber Celebrates 1st Year
More than 50 members have joined organization
HOUSTON (March 6, 2017) – The Greater Houston LGBT Chamber of Commerce is celebrating its first anniversary and marking significant achievements in its first full year.
The Chamber officially launched on February 24, 2016 and has since grown to include more than 50 members. Chamber Co-Founders Tammi Wallace and Gary Wood said they were pleased with the organization’s accomplishments over the last year, which include:
- Launch of branding and marketing elements including logo, website, social media channels and marketing materials.
- Creation of a formal Steering Committee.
- Creation of five committees focusing on everything from membership to development.
- Membership growth to more than 50 members, including four founding members and three corporate partners.
- Hosting of 20 events and programs including monthly happy hours and a collaboration on the Grow Your Business Summit.
- Establishment of a strategic alliance with the Small Business Administration, Houston District Office.
- Completion of more than 25 site visits to help businesses become certified as LGBT Business Enterprises (LGBTBE®).
- Growing the number of LGBTBE® certified businesses in Houston to nearly 30.
- Partnering with the Super Bowl Host Committee as part of the NFL's Business Connect program, which resulted in six Chamber member companies securing contracts with the Super Bowl.
“We could not have asked for a better first year, but it’s only the beginning,” Wallace said. “We have ambitious plans to grow this organization and expand on our mission to create economic opportunity for LGBT-owned businesses in the region.” Part of the opportunity ahead includes educating businesses about the LGBTBE® certification and continuing to grow the number of certified businesses in the region. Wood said, “Our tremendous growth in our launch year has resulted in close to half of all LGBTBE®certified businesses in Texas that are located in the Greater Houston region,” Wood said. “We are excited to support even more LGBT business owners as they seek the LGBTBE® certification.”
Media Contact : Tammi Wallace (she|her|hers) / 713-301-2266/ email@example.com
Listen to Chamber Leadership talk about the important work of the Greater Houston LGBT Chamber of Commerce focused on economic inclusion for the LGBTQ+ & Allied Business Community. The Chamber is at the intersection of business + community!
The Chamber provides tremendous value to member businesses through business development opportunities, marketing exposure to businesses and consumers, including the LGBTQ+ market, representation in the regional and national LGBTQ+ and business communities, resources for business growth and operation, and advocacy for equal rights and business-friendly public policy.